An annual membership in Americans United starts at $25 a year. (You are, of course, welcome and encouraged to support our work by making a donation at whatever level you can afford!) In addition to providing much-needed funding for our many legal, legislative, grassroots and education efforts, your financial support entitles you to receive 11 issues of our award-winning journal Church & State and periodic updates on pressing religious liberty concerns.
You can join Americans United or donate to our chapter online by clicking on the link below or mailing us a check to:
Americans United of Houston
P.O. Box 550743
Houston, TX 77255-0743
Students can join for free. Go to austudents.org and click on the red banner “BECOME A STUDENT SUPPORTER.”
Is AU tax-exempt?
Yes — Americans United is designated by the IRS as a 501(c)3, non-profit education organization.
Are my contributions to AU tax-deductible?
Yes, to a point. If you receive Church & State magazine, $18 is considered its annual subscription fee and is non-deductible. If you choose to receive a premium/thank-you gift during our early-year renewal campaign, its value is also not deductible (the value will be stated on the thank-you letter you receive for your donation). The remainder of your total annual giving — or the entire amount of your annual giving if you opt not to receive these benefits — is deductible to the full extent of the law.
Will I receive a thank-you letter for my donation?
Yes, Americans United’s national office will send you a written acknowledgement of your mailed or phoned-in donation within a few weeks of processing your donation or an email acknowledgement for your online donation immediately, for tax purposes.
If you have other questions about membership or donations, please see donation FAQ’s at https://www.au.org/donate/faqs
Use AU’s action center to contact your elected officials.
Report a Violation
Do you believe that your religious liberty has been harmed by a government action? Please tell us about it. We advocate in and out of court to protect your religious liberty by preserving the separation of church and state.
Review Examples and FAQs
Before taking the time to report a violation of the separation of church and state, please review our examples and information about what does (and doesn’t) constitute a violation. We would hate to be unable to help with your situation!
Examples of Violations:
- An organization uses a government grant for religious activity.
- A public school event includes prayer or a public school teaches creationism or intelligent design.
- The government displays a religious symbol or text on public property.
- The government funds religious hospitals that refuse to provide certain kinds of reproductive health care services for religious reasons.
The Houston AU chapter needs YOUR HELP to continue advancing the cause of religious liberty:
- Are you good with social media?
- Do you know how to write a press release or media alert?
- Can you design a program announcement?
- Can you advise us how to better publicize our efforts?
- Would you like to join a committee to plan a chapter event?
- Do you have another interest or skill that you could share with us?
If so, please email us at: email@example.com
To donate to Americans United for Separation of Church & State-Houston Chapter, you may donate online by clicking on this link
or mail us a check to