Election’s Over — What Can I Do Now?
If you’re reading this, then you likely share our concerns about our country’s recent presidential election.
You are not alone. Millions of people in this country and across the world are deeply troubled by the potential havoc President-elect Trump’s promised agenda will visit upon the wall of separation between church and state.
Take heart. Americans United for Separation of Church and State has been here for 69 years. We’re still here. We’re not going anywhere; but our ability to fight effectively to keep the wall of separation high and strong depends greatly on people like you. Please read the message on our blog from AU’s Executive Director, Barry Lynn. AU’s national office and local chapters across our country, including your Houston chapter, are mustering for the fight ahead. In the meantime, here are some ways you can help:
1. Like our chapter’s page on Facebook, sign up for our email list to receive news about our chapter’s activities and sign up at au.org/get-involved/updates to receive email updates from our national office. We’ll keep you up-to-date on the latest developments in our battle to protect this fundamental American value.
2. Like, share, and comment on our Facebook posts. Your likes, shares, and comments appearing in your friends’ and family’s news streams help spread our message and create awareness for our organization. Your “endorsement” can be very persuasive.
3. Attend AU Houston events and bring a friend. We periodically host guest speakers and educational programs to raise awareness for the issue of church-state separation and Americans United’s mission to maintain it. You will meet like-minded individuals and educate yourself on the issues.
4. Speak out. You don’t need to be vociferous or bellicose. You don’t need to pick up a sign and walk a picket line; but if you just politely say “I don’t agree,” or “I don’t think that’s the right thing to do,” you help take away the license of social acceptability from those who would reverse recent gains in LGBTQ rights or require your children to sit through state-led prayer in school. Too often the silence of well-mannered people is mistaken for approval.
5. Donate to Americans United. AU runs on a lean budget, but it still takes plenty of money to fund our educational and outreach programs. It takes money to fund the lawsuits AU must occasionally file to defend the wall of separation. AU’s financial resources are likely to be strained in the battles ahead. Annual membership starts at $25 and entitles you to a monthly copy of our Church & State magazine. Students can join for free. Contributions are tax deductible. Join or donate at www.auhouston.org.
We hope you’ll join us in taking sustained action to ensure the wall of separation remains strong. Every effort counts, no matter how small. Remember, we are Americans and we are united in this.